Super hearing is the ability to hear anything audible that normal humans cannot. In this ability, the user can hear extremely quiet sounds, and sounds made from a very far distance. Sonic screams and extremely high pitched sounds can cause Kryptonians' ears to bleed.
Kryptonian super hearing
As of now, it remains a bit unclear as to how super hearing manifests for Kryptonians, however, under a yellow sun, they seem to have sharper hearing even before the ability officially develops. (Jitters, Drone). The ability appears to require active effort.
Characters who displayed super hearing
- Clark Kent - This ability first manifested in Whisper although he was able to determine where a swarm of bees were inside vents at the Talon with Lana Lang in Drone. Clark can hear indirect whispers, pitches, frequencies, and the patterns in a person's heart beat, and even that of an unborn baby, from almost anywhere on Earth. (Sacrifice) He also is able to multitask while using his super hearing at the same time and has, on a few occasions, heard conversations from miles away while super-speeding. (Rabid, Roulette, and Isis)
- Kara Kent - Kara can hear indirect whispers, pitches, and frequencies from vast distances away. (Kara)
- Lana Lang - Lana overhears Chloe and Clark talking about her after she gained Clark's powers. She later used the Phometheus suit on her and gained again superpowers, but it is unknown is one of these new powers were superhearing. But she was able to tell Clark from a far away distance, to meet her at the roof of the Daily Planet. (Wrath and Power)
- Conner Kent - Conner, because he has strands of Kryptonian DNA, specifically Clark's, can hear indirect whispers, pitches, and frequencies from vast distances away. (Scion)
- Lindsay Harrison - Lindsey, through Jor-El, could hear many sounds from vast distances away. (Covenant)
- Major Zod - Major Zod can hear indirect whispers, pitches, and frequencies from vast distances away. (Escape)
- Vala - Vala can hear indirect whispers, pitches, and frequencies from vast distances away. (Sacrifice)
- Basqat - Basqat can hear indirect whispers, pitches, and frequencies from vast distances away. (Sacrifice)
- Bizarro - Bizarro, after replicating some of Clark Kent's DNA strands could hear hear indirect whispers, pitches, and frequencies from vast distances away. (Gemini)
- Brainiac - Brianiac is able to hear the Kryptonian beacon of Dax-Ur from a great distance. (Persona)
- Season Three: Whisper, Delete, Velocity, Resurrection, Crisis
- Season Four: Transference, Recruit, Onyx, Blank
- Season Five: Arrival, Hidden, Thirst, Fanatic, Vengeance
- Season Six: Sneeze, Freak
- Season Seven: Wrath, Gemini, Persona, Descent
- Season Eight: Plastique, Toxic, Instinct, Committed, Hex
- Season Nine: Roulette, Crossfire, Checkmate, Salvation
- Season Ten: Isis (offscreen), Abandoned, Scion, Booster, Prophecy
Superman is generally portrayed as already having mastered all of his abilities after his youth, having practiced and conditioned then as a growing kid, with the help of his father Jonathan Kent. His hearing is now to the point where he can literally hear any pitch, beat, frequency and sound from any location.
- There have been several times that Clark could've used passive super hearing to find hidden people near him, but failed to do so (e.g. he failed to hear the geek hiding behind a curtain on Oliver Queen's jet in Bride, and to hear Gina in the Isis Foundation in Descent). Although, in Isis, Clark Kent, while running at super-speed, was able to hear Tess talking with Oliver without stopping to listen, demonstrating the elevation of his abilities and the full control he now holds over his powers.
|Clark Kent's powers and abilities in Smallville|