The Stones of Power, also known as the Stones of Knowledge or simply the Elements, were three Kryptonian crystals containing all the knowledge of the 28 galaxies. Their power was well-known on Earth and they were sought out by many occultists and practitioners of magic, not knowing that they were not magical and were actually of alien origin.
There were three Stones of Power, each of which represented an element:
Powers and Abilities
Separately, each stone had its own power.
The stones send out a beacon when they're unearthed. For example, when Lex accidentally broke the statue that housed the Crystal of Fire, it sent out a beacon that Clark heard, allowing Clark to discover its location and obtain it. This also occurred in China when Clark was looking for the Crystal of Air and when Clark was searching for the Crystal of Water, which was in the Luthor Mansion. Also, the beacon that was emitted was the beacon of the House of El.
A common feat among the crystals was the power of energetic transference: The Crystal of Fire could restore Kryptonian powers to Clark, the Crystal of Water could transfer the souls of two persons and the Crystal of Air could permanently remove the Spirit of Countess Magarete Isobel Thoreaux from Lana Lang after the crystal was stained with the blood of Genevieve Teague.
When two of the stones were combined on the Kawatche Caves altar, a Kryptonian beacon was emitted which revealed the location of the third Stone and turned Lionel Luthor into a Kryptonian vessel for Jor-El.
20 years before the destruction of Krypton, the stones were created by Jor-El, alongside the Orb, under orders from the Ruling Council. Their purpose was to supply the Kryptonian clones on Earth, with all Kryptonian knowledge. The stones were sent by portal to Earth's past, and were hidden at different points on the planet. Waiting for someone to find and unite them.
Humanity learned of these "stones of power", many families spending centuries searching for them.
Genevieve Teague, a descendant of Duchess Gertrude (who had devoted her life to finding the stones), continued Gertrude's search for the stones along with her son, Jason Teague. Lionel Luthor, and later his son Lex Luthor, also used their vast resources to find the stones. Lionel found a brilliant mathematician, Edgar Cole, who was able to translate the Kryptonian glyphs on each stone as the symbols for "fire," "air" and "water."
The Crystal of Water was found in Honduras inside a Mayan statue. Edgar was able to get the stone and give it to Dr. Bridgette Crosby, Dr. Virgil Swann's assistant, after Lex Luthor arranged for him to be released from prison.
The Crystal of Air, was in Shanghai, East China, and was found by Margaret Isobel Thoreaux, who was possessing the body of her descendant, Lana Lang. This stone was later used by Isobel to kill Genevieve. With human blood on the Crystal of Air, it caused a chain reaction that sent another meteor shower to Earth.
Clark finally found the other two stones, and combined them with the Crystal of Fire to form one crystal, which transported Clark to the Arctic Circle. There, Clark threw the Crystal of Knowledge into the open fields of snow. The crystal struck the ground, out of it grew a huge, crystalline building: the Fortress of Solitude.
In the alternate reality, Brainiac mentioned that he'll use Kara and "her Fortress" to release General Zod from the Phantom Zone. This suggests that in the alternate reality, Kara was able to unite the Stones of Power, form the Crystal of Knowledge, and create the Fortress of Solitude.
- Season Four: Crusade, Transference, Spell, Sacred, Lucy, Spirit, Forever, Commencement
- Season Five: Arrival
- Season Eight: Odyssey, Instinct, Bloodline, Abyss
- Season Nine: Kandor
- Magistrate Wilkins: Tell me the three stones of power, Countess. You may yet escape the pyre's flames.
- Isobel: In my book, there's a page marked.
- Magistrate Wilkins: What means this?
- Isobel: It means that the stones of power shall be mine, and once I possess them, you shall tremble at my feet and never again persecute my kind.
- Season Four, Spell
- Jor-El: (to Clark) The knowledge of our civilization was encoded in three stones brought to Earth and hidden at the far reaches of the world. Greed will drive others to hunt the stones. But if the humans should unite them before you, they will not be able to withstand the temptation and will drive the world to famine, war, and the Earth's ultimate destruction. You must find the other two stones. The fate of the world lies in your hands... Kal-El.
- Season Four, Sacred
- Clark: If you are my father, talk to me. Tell me what you've done!
- Jor-El: It is you who has brought this upon yourself, Kal-El.
- Clark: What did I do?
- Jor-El: I sent you here to unite the three elements.
- Clark: The stones? They have nothing to do with me.
- Jor-El: But they do, Kal-El. For the knowledge of the universe is meant for you only. Yet you chose to deny your heritage. Today you will witness the consequences.
- Clark: So you send a meteor shower.
- Jor-El: I have done nothing, Kal-El. Human blood has stained one of the elements and awakened a great danger from the darkness of space.
- Clark: What can I do to stop it?
- Jor-El: There is nothing you can do to prevent what is already in motion. But the meteor shower is just the beginning, Kal-El. I warned you that the elements could not fall into the hands of a human. The three must become one. It is the only way to save Earth from total annihilation.
- Clark: I don't know where they are! I don't have time to find them!
- Jor-El: If you don't unite them at once then you, my son, will be seared by a fire from the sky even you can't survive. The future of mankind rests in your hands, Kal-El.
- Clark: Please help me! I can't do this alone!
- Season Four, Commencement
- Jor-El prophesied that the crystals, in the hands of humans, would bring destruction to Earth. This prophecy came true when Lana, possessed by Isobel, stabbed Genevieve in the heart with the Crystal of Air; as a result, the blood that stained the crystal alerted Brainiac to the location of the stones which he was looking for to release Zod, and he came to Earth in the 2005 meteor shower that disguised his arrival.
|Kryptonian artifacts in Smallville|