Shawn Ashmore portrayed the character of Bobby Drake / Iceman in the X-Men movie trilogy, as well as reprising the role in The Super Hero Squad Show. He also portrayed the central character of Ged in the TV fantasy movie Earthsea (2004). He is also known for portraying Jake in the Animorphs.
In 2000, Shawn played Chet in The Famous Jett Jackson episode "What You Wish For", along with the show's lead actor Lee Thompson Young. His most famous role, though, may be as Iceman in X-Men and its sequels X2 and X-Men: The Last Stand. While many of the minor characters were portrayed by different actors, Ashmore was kept for all the movies since his character was major in the first movie, unlike Shadowcat who had minor screen time in the first and second films. Ashmore reprised his role as Iceman in the animated series The Super Hero Squad Show, and again in X-Men: Days of Future Past.
Ashmore starred as Cadet Major Brad Rigby in Cadet Kelly, a Disney Channel original film which aired in 2002 and he also guest-starred as Eric Summers in two episodes of Smallville and his brother later got the role of Jimmy Olsen. Ashmore also had starring roles on Animorphs as Jake Berenson and In a Heartbeat as Tyler Connell.
In December 2004, Ashmore was cast in the lead role in the SciFi Channel mini series Legend of Earthsea, based on the novels by Ursula K. Le Guin. He played the role of Ged, a young wizard-in-training, who takes advice from a Blizard (Black Wizard) (Danny Glover) and falls in love with Tenar (Kristin Kreuk), the protege of the High Priestess of the Tombs of Atuan (Isabella Rossellini). In 2005, Ashmore starred in a CTV TV movie about Terry Fox's historic run across Canada, which aired in September of that year. In 2008, he starred as one of the leads in the 2008 horror film The Ruins. Ashmore was cast in Adam Green's 2010 dramatic thriller Frozen as Joe Lynch.
- Shawn was born one minute after his twin brother, Aaron Ashmore.
- His astrological sign is Libra
- He is 5'11"
- His middle name is Robert
- Aaron is slightly taller than Shawn and, according to Aaron, Shawn often gets cast as the nice guy while Aaron himself is cast as the bully.
- Shawn was one of People Magazine's Sexiest Men Alive, 2006. He is found in the "Doubly Delicious" section with his twin brother, Aaron.
- Both Shawn and Aaron auditioned for In a Heartbeat however, only Shawn got a role.
- Before Sam Huntington was cast, Shawn was up for the role of Jimmy Olsen in Superman Returns.
- STAX (Feb 3, 2005), "Bad Blood Between X-Men And Superman?". IGN