|Broadcast Date||February 18, 2011|
| Previous Episode: Beacon
Next Episode: Fortune
Chloe and Oliver are mistaken for FBI agents investigating Desaad's recent string of murders and the pair are kidnapped by Desaad’s minions. Desaad tries to infect Chloe with the darkness. Meanwhile, Lois tells Clark he needs to be more careful with his identity and suggests a disguise.
→ see also Category:Screencaps from episode 10x14
Lois Lane is at the Daily Planet, in Metropolis, on the phone with Clark Kent, who is in London. She tells him that she knows where he is, and that people all over the world are looking for the Blur after his recent burst of activity. He superspeeds back to the Planet. She shows him an article about heroes coming forward after the VRA was lifted, and tells him that she's not printing it because it might put in danger Clark's identity as The Blur.
Chloe Sullivan arrives at The Ace of Clubs to meet a very disguised Oliver Queen. They start to flirt with each other, and end up taking the identity of Mr. and Mrs. Jones, a couple that failed to show up for their reservation. After they're seated by the hostess, Oliver tells Chloe that he feels they might be in danger, but Chloe says she doesn't feel the same way and they both share a toast.
At the Kent Farm, Lois is trying to help Clark find a disguise to protect his identity by adding a hoodie and shades. Clark is less than thrilled about this, but Lois reminds him that he needs to come up with a disguise or he will end up like Oliver. When Clark tries to leave, Lois insists that he stays until they resolve the issue.
Oliver and Chloe are finishing up their meal at Ace of Clubs when the hostess brings a phone over to Oliver/Mr. Jones saying that he has a call from his wife, Mrs. Jones. Mrs. Jones is on the other end of the line telling Oliver, who she assumes is Mr. Jones, that she found the prisoners, they're dead, and she doesn't have much time before she's next. She starts to scream as her eyes start to bleed. Oliver tries to get more information about who she is and what's happening but Desaad attacks her, picks up the phone and says, "You are next." Leaving the Ace of Clubs, Oliver and Chloe decide to take the Jones limo while Chloe tries to trace the call. They are then greeted by men with guns pointed at them.
Clark goes to a crime scene where bodies have been discovered, and meets Bert Camp, a photographer, who explains that a worker found them in a nearby tunnel. Bert notices that Clark looks like the Blur as seen in a viral clip, but Clark dismisses his suspicions and tries to focus on the case. Bert almost falls into a hole but Clark catches him with one hand. Bert is amazed, but Clark tries to make it sound like a normal occurrence. Bert insists that he's a hero.
Later Clark goes to Metropolis General Hospital and meets a coroner who introduces himself and admits that he's been working full-out since the bodies came in. The coroner says all the victims died of internal hemorrhaging, Clark uses microscopic vision and spots several small black dots on the body's hand.
Oliver and Chloe are put in the trunk of the limo. During the drive Oliver tells Chloe that this is not the way he intended that they spend their anniversary, and then realizes that Chloe forgot their anniversary. Oliver and Chloe discuss the status of their relationship. When the car pulls over the gunmen take them to an apartment and demand to know who they are. Chloe and Oliver then take out the their captors and share a kiss. After dispatching the men, they discover that the men were actually FBI agents serving as backup for the FBI agents posing as the Joneses. Chloe discovers a room with several X-rays of skulls showing an Omega symbol branded into them.
The next morning Chloe and Oliver head to Club Desaad, where they discover everyone that had the omega symbol on their skull came here. Oliver gets in through a window while Chloe stays outside. Mr. Jones comes up behind her and arrests her, however his eyes start to bleed and Desaad steps out of the shadows he realizes that Chloe knows about him and knocks her out.
At the Daily Planet, Lois is coordinating her wedding plans. Clark arrives and tells Lois that the coroner was unable to find a connection between the victims. Lois shows Clark a photo that reveals everyone had an Ace of Clubs stamp on their hand. Clark states that he used micro vision and spotted bits of ink, and realizes that the coroner was covering the killer's tracks.
At Watchtower Clark tries to track down the coroner, when Oliver walks in and tells Clark that Chloe is missing at the club. Clark realizes that Desaad works for Darkseid, converting who he can and killing the others. They find a property that Desaad owns. Clark leaves, telling Oliver he is in no condition to take on Desaad because of his current emotional state. As soon as Clark leaves, Oliver soon follows.
Chloe wakes up in a church, hanging from the ceiling. The light in the room changes and Clark comes to free her. He tells her this is their chance to be together and tries to kiss her, but Chloe refuses. Clark disappears and Oliver appears. She tells him there's something wrong with Clark. Oliver tells her to run away with him without a disguise and insists that they don't have to try to so hard to be heroes. Oliver asks her to take his hand, but Chloe realizes that something is wrong and asks who he really is. Oliver then leaves and Lois appears saying that Chloe is envious of the relationship she has with Clark. By now Chloe realizes that her captor is giving her illusions based on the seven deadly sins. The room returns to normal. Desaad confronts Chloe, who insists that he can't convert her, but Desaad explains that he exploits sin to convert his victims, and she's more vulnerable than she thinks.
Desaad gives Chloe a knife and dares her to kill him. A white-clad Chloe appears and suggests that taking a life may be necessary, Chloe says that she's strong and appeals to her pride, and that Chloe was too proud to give up what she had built for a relationship with Oliver. After a moment's hesitation, Chloe throws the knife away, and Desaad prepares to unleash another mental barrage.
Clark arrives and whisks Chloe away and returns to confront Desaad. Desaad states that he is a servant of Darkseid and that Clark has more love in his heart than when he faced Godfrey, and is stronger than when he faced Granny. Clark accuses them of burning Omegas into innocent people, but he explains that the brands were already there, and then sends a burst of black energy to pin Clark to the wall.
As Desaad leaves Oliver asks where Chloe is. Desaad tells him that she is dead. Oliver in rage beats him up while Desaad laughs saying that his sin is obvious. Clark frees himself and runs outside to stop Oliver. He assures his friend that Chloe is safe. Oliver stares at Desaad, realizing what he's done, and walks away.
Later at the Daily Planet Lois discovers that Clark has removed his name from the article. He admits to her that he is drawing too much attention and will need to wear a mask, but states that he always wants to present his face to the world. Lois says that he's had a breakthrough, but wonders how they can have a life together. Clark explains that now he has to adopt "Clark Kent" as a disguise, and dons a pair of glasses while explaining that he'll have to act normal as a civilian. As they leave, Clark bumps into Jeff, who initially gets angry at him. Clark apologizes and says he has to be more careful, and Jeff brushes past him.
At Watchtower Chloe is looking through her old photos and high school year book when Oliver arrives and asks how she's doing. She proclaims that she is Omega mark free and wondering what her next step is since resurfacing into the world. After being so many different things to so many different people, she's not sure if she'll lose the last part of who she really is. Oliver assures her that he'll never forget who she is. Chloe tells him that's why she loves him, and wonders what they will do now. Oliver admits that he was kidding himself trying to be normal, and now he has to face up to who he is. Oliver wonders who people will think she is, and Chloe says they can start with "girlfriend." They start to go and Oliver hangs back to turn off the power. He's unaware that the Omega brand is on his forehead.
- Tom Welling as Clark Kent
- Erica Durance as Lois Lane
- Cassidy Freeman as Tess Mercer (credit only)
- Justin Hartley as Oliver Queen
- Allison Mack as Chloe Sullivan
- Agent Simon - Viv Peacock
- Club Hostess - Marina Eva
- Mrs. Jones/Agent Bowman - Kristen Ross
- Police Officer - Tristen Jenson
- Bert Camp - Mike Coleman
- Mr. Jones/Agent Vactor - William C. Vaughan
- Your Kiss by Bosshouse Music
- Masquerade has a variety of meanings - most commonly: a costume party at which masks are worn, a disguise, a false outward show or an involved scheme or charade.
- Various "masquerades" occur:
- Oliver and Chloe masquerade as Mr. and Mrs. Jones.
- Desaad masquerades as a coroner, and while he's trying to convince Chloe to join the "Dark Side", he masquerades as Clark, Lois and Oliver.
- Clark finally creates a separate identity from The Blur by wearing the famous glasses as part of his civilian act.
- This is one of the few episodes that Chloe's hairstyle doesn't change when she is involved in a fight scene.
- Desaad tempts Chloe with Sloth (leaving the superhero life behind to live happily with Oliver), Lust (giving in to her old attraction to Clark), Envy (Lois having a more satisfying life), Wrath (Desaad getting her to kill him) and Pride (believing she alone can do things); apparently Gluttony and Greed don't apply to her. Oddly, Chloe at times has been shown to greedy about knowledge.
- Antagonist: Darkseid (Through the body of Desaad)
- Tess Mercer does not appear in this episode.
- Since the repeal of the VRA, the Blur is increasingly becoming an international hero.
- This would be the sixth time that Clark is seen wearing glasses in the series. The previous times happen back in Season Three's Whisper, Season Six's Noir, Season Seven's Apocalypse, Season Nine's Idol, and Season Ten's Homecoming.
- Clark used "micro vision" in this episode. Though he had used telescopic/microscopic vision along with his X-ray-vision before, this is possibly the first time he used it without x-raying, and also the first time a special effect is seen in his eyes when using this power.
- Clark and his friends find out Darkseid's real name in this episode.
- The Chloe/Oliver plot of this episode is similar to the film Date Night. In both cases, a couple steals the reservation of an absentee couple at a restaurant and are mistaken for people wanted by the antagonist (Desaad).
- Oliver was branded with the Omega symbol in this episode.
- Lois does not interact with any major character other than Clark in this episode, although a false image of her (in the form of Envy) does interact with Chloe.
- Lois's mug at the beginning of the episode reads "Work with me people", as a nod to her personality.
- Desaad tells Clark that he is no longer capable of being corrupted by Darkseid.
- Clark had overcome his negative traits and is now pure of heart.
- The hood and sunglasses on the costume closely resemble the fake Blur costume Oliver wore in Identity.
- This is the last episode of the series in which Chloe has the most screentime.
- Clark notes that a hood wouldn't stay up during super speed and that he wouldn't be able to see anything through the sunglasses at night. This is a meta-reference to the realistic problems some of the other superhero suits (ex. the Impulse suit) would have.
- Corrupted people having Desaad's mark on their hand and the Omega sign printed on their skulls refers to St. John's Apocalypse, in which is written that the servants of the Beast will bring its symbol on their hands and foreheads.
In Other Media
- Lois telling Clark he should come up with a disguise to not attract too much attention to himself is a nod to the whole Clark Kent disguise in the comics. Clark wearing the red hood over his head may be a reference to Superman Elseworlds Finest.
- Clark mentions how he doesn't want to wear a mask as the Blur, something true to the comics: Clark believed that, in order for people to trust him as Superman, they needed to see his face.
- Burt the photographer was very much like the classic Jimmy Olsen from the comics.
- Lois' hooded disguise idea for Clark's Blur costume looks similar to the cover of the recent Superman origin graphic novel, Superman: Earth One.
- Clark's speech "It's not what I'm called that should define who I am. It's who I am that should define what I'm called." bears an unmistakable reference to Bruce Wayne's speech "It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me", from Batman Begins.
- Lois continues her wedding planning that began at the end of Collateral.
- Clark comes up with a new disguise since Shield.
- Chloe reviews her Smallville High School year book which was last seen in Season Four's Forever. More recently, Clark let Chloe read his in Season Eight's Abyss.
- Desaad mentions to Clark how he's now managed to become incorruptible since he last faced Granny Goodness in Abandoned and Gordon Godfrey in Supergirl.
- Lois and Clark fulfill the disguise issue that her future self told him about in Homecoming.
- Chloe and Oliver celebrate their one year anniversary of "doing whatever it was that they were doing" which began back in Season Nine's Warrior.
- Desaad using the Seven Deadly Sins against Chloe marks the third explicit Christian reference in the series (although Christianity has been an underlying theme since the first season). The others appeared in Season One's Pilot and season nine's Salvation, both with Clark in a Jesus-like pose, not counting the omega symbol at the end of Revelation.
- This is the first episode since Beacon that Lois appears in without being in any physical danger.
- This episode marks the 7th appearance of Clark's Red Leather Jacket/Blue T-Shirt Blur outfit. It was previously seen in Shield, Homecoming, Ambush, Patriot, Icarus, & Beacon.
- Desaad was last seen in Abandoned.
- Darkseid was last seen in Supergirl.
Homage to previous seasons
- Lois was Chloe's wedding planner in Season Eight's Bride, now she is the wedding planner and organizer for her own upcoming wedding.
- Clark standing on the Big Ben tower in London, England, is similar to him standing on the crown edge of the Statue of Liberty in New York city in Season Nine's Savior.
- Clark's global super speed from England to Metropolis is very similar to Season Five's Void super speed run from Metropolis to Honduras.
- Upon Oliver's arrival at the Ace of Clubs, the background song is identical to the one played in Fade when Clark and Gia shared an intimate moment on a balcony at a location, being reminiscent of the Ace of Clubs.
- The video clip of Clark standing on the rooftop is very similar to Season Eight's Identity when Oliver was covering for Clark in public as the Red-Blue Blur.
- Lois suggesting that Clark creates a disguise to blend in is a direct nod from Season Seven's Apocalypse.
- Chloe being tied-up to something over her head was previously seen in Season Four's Gone.
- Desaad mentions to Clark that he's now incorruptible because he has more love in his heart (thanks to Lois) which has enabled him to be more self-assured. Maxima mentioned to Clark that his attraction for Lois allowed him to break free from her control in Season Eight's Instinct.
- Bert's message refers to Clark as a "super guy." Just before his death, Henry James Olsen referred to Clark as "some sort of super...guy!". Interestingly, Bert himself is somewhat reminiscent of the comic-book Jimmy Olsen.
- When Oliver punches Desaad repeatedly and the latter takes it smiling, it is reminiscent of Fracture when the inner evil Lex does this while Clark attacks him in his mind.
- Lois: Please tell me you didn't hop across the pond just for a gallon of milk.
- Clark: What makes you think I'd be in England?
- Lois: Oh, you know, 'cause I'm kind of staring at your face online.
- Lois: My Turkish is a little rusty, but it seems someone managed to pull off a supersave there, and now Ankara's also wondering who America's Blur hero is. Meanwhile, in Buenos Aires, they are offering a national commendation to "El Salvador de Rojo y Azul" if he'd stand still long enough to receive it. And I won't even bother with the Chinese because I would just sound racist.
- Lois: (to Clark) Drink it in, handsome. Ya know, roll it around in your mouth for a minute and tell me how you feel.
- Clark: (looking at himself in the mirror) I feel like I can't believe that you did this to my jacket.
- Lois: (to Clark) You do not get to whoosh your way out of this one. And I'll just save you the trouble, and superspeed off all on my own, okay? (starts to leave the loft; pauses) Whoosh! (continues to leave)
- Bert Camp: (to Clark) You talk like a cop, you walk like a fireman. Heck, you beat us to most of our own crime scenes. You might as well put an "S" on your chest.
- Lois: That's only a fraction of a centimeter. How would you be able to see that?
- Clark: Micro vision.
- Lois: "Micro" vision?
- Clark: Well, it's my power. I can call it whatever I want.
- Oliver: Ya know, when I said that I wanted to spoon you later, this isn't really what I had in mind.
- Chloe: We're lying alone together in the dark, okay. I think that counts for something.
- Oliver: Yeah, you're probably right. This is definitely the most romantic of my recent kidnappings. Helluva way to spend an anniversary, right?
- Chloe: (guilty silence)
- Oliver: Oh, gee...you forgot!
- Chloe: No. No. No! I did not forget that it's been a year since we started doing.... whatever it is that we've been doing.
- Oliver: Whatever it is that we've...wow. You weren't joking around at the restaurant, were ya? You don't know what to call me.
- Chloe: Not in so many words.
- Oliver: Okay!
- Chloe: (car hits a bump) Ow!.... Oliver!
- Oliver: We spend every waking moment together. We've said our "I love yous" how many times, huh? Several. What do you call that?
- Chloe: Can we talk about this later?
- Oliver: Yeah, no... I'd love to do that... If there is a later.
- Chloe: (sighing) You're so dramatic.
- Clark: You're upset and in no condition to go up against the darkness.
- Oliver: And you're in a better condition?
- Clark: Right now, I don't have a choice. Now, stay put. (superspeeds away)
- Oliver: (waits until he is gone) Like hell.
- Desaad: I was wondering when we would meet again.
- Clark: What exactly are you, Desaad?
- Desaad: A prophet. A servant, loyal to a far greater power.
- Clark: The darkness.
- Desaad: To Darkseid. When he last laid his eyes upon you, you wore your sin openly. You're much more self-assured now. More love in your heart than when you faced Godfrey. Stronger than when you faced Granny, as well. Sadly incorruptible. They, much like I, have been preparing for something...amazing.
- Clark: And that's why the three of you have been burning your Omega symbols on innocent people.
- Desaad: You act as though the marks weren't there to begin with...but I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise.
- Clark: And I should be wearing a mask. Unfortunately, I've lived my entire life up until this point without needing one. That's why I've been so reluctant. I mean, this is the face that my parents raised. It's the face of the man that you love. And I don't want to deny who I am when I'm out there doing what I was born to do.
- Lois: Then why bother with the jacket, Clark, the symbols?
- Clark: When I'm out there in the red and blue, and I'm saving people, that's who I really am. And I know this is gonna sound weird, but it's not what I'm called that should define who I am. It's who I am that should define what I'm called. Clark Kent - it's...it's just a name. It's just a word. I am The Blur, and I always have been.
- Lois: Clark, you can't just whip out a new costume at work.
- Clark: The Blur is not the disguise, Lois. Clark Kent will be the mask.
- Lois: Okay. Okay, but the only way the glasses are ever going to work...
- Clark: If I adjust my behavior when I use them. I know. The world needs to believe that Clark Kent is way too normal to be...
- Lois: Super.
- Clark: And even though we silenced Godfrey, we shutdown Granny's orphanage, and buried Desaad underneath Belle Reve, it's not the last time we've seen Darkseid. But I'll be ready...(puts on glasses)...hiding in plain sight.
- Lois: So you're willing to dial back the hometown hero and crank up the Average Joe?
- Clark: If that's what it takes to be the hero the people need, (glasses slide down a little; he pushes glasses up nose in iconic fashion)...yes, Miss Lane, I am.
- ↑ http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/14/smallville-season-11-building-the-justice-league?abthid=50cb312b33d228107c00009e
|Episodes: Season 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10|