The Luthor Family is a family of Scottish descent that had humble beginnings, but is now known for being part of the extremely wealthy upper-class.
- Lachlan Luthor was the father of Lionel Luthor, husband of Eliza Luthor, along grandfather of Lex Luthor, Julian Luthor, Lucas Luthor and Tess Mercer.
- Eliza Luthor (née Meehan) was the mother of Lionel Luthor, wife of Lachlan Luthor, along grandmother of Lex Luthor, Julian Luthor, Lucas Luthor and Tess Mercer.
- Lionel Luthor was the son of Lachlan and Eliza Luthor, widower of Lillian Luthor, and father of Lex Luthor, Julian Luthor, Lucas Luthor and Tess Mercer.
- Lillian Luthor was the wife of Lionel Luthor, along with mother of Lex and Julian Luthor.
- Alexander "Lex" Luthor is the son of Lionel and Lillian Luthor, along with the brother of Julian Luthor, Lucas Luthor and Tess Mercer.
- Julian Luthor was the second son of Lionel and Lillian Luthor, along with the brother of Julian Luthor, Lucas Luthor and Tess Mercer.
- Tess Mercer (born Lutessa Lena Luthor) is the daughter of Lionel Luthor and Pamela Jenkins, along with half-sister of Lex Luthor, Julian Luthor and Lucas Luthor.
- Lucas Luthor is the son of Lionel Luthor and Rachel Dunleavy, along with half-brother of Lex Luthor, Tess Mercer and Julian Luthor.
- Helen Luthor (née Bryce) was the second wife of Lex Luthor. It is unknown if she is alive or dead. When last seen, she was still married to Lex Luthor.
- Conner Kent is a partial clone of Lex Luthor, with his DNA mixed with that of Clark Kent. He was raised by Tess Mercer.
- LX-13 was a clone of Lex Luthor, one of many.
- Grant Gabriel was a clone of Julian Luthor.
- Adrian Cross was another clone of Julian Luthor.
- Pamela Jenkins was the mother of Tess Mercer.
- Rachel Dunleavy is the mother of Lucas Luthor.
- The Mercers are the adoptive parents of Tess Mercer.
- Desirée Atkins was the first wife of Lex Luthor. Their marriage was annulled.
- Lana Luthor (née Lang) was the third wife of Lex Luthor. Their marriage ended in divorce.
- Alexander "Alex" Luthor, Jr. was the son of Lex Luthor and Lana Lang, along with brother of Lily Luthor, in an alternate future.
- Lillian "Lily" Luthor was the daughter of Lex Luthor and Lana Lang, along with sister of Alex Luthor, in an alternate future.
- Linda Danvers (born Kara Zor-El) was the adoptive daughter of Lionel Luthor in an alternate universe.
- Lionel Luthor was a native of Earth-2. The father of Lex and Tess Luthor, along with adoptive father of Clark Luthor.
- Lex Luthor was a native of Earth-2. The son of Lionel Luthor, along with half-brother of Tess Luthor and adoptive brother of Clark Luthor.
- Clark Luthor (born Kal-El) is a native of Earth-2, the adoptive son of Lionel Luthor, along with adoptive brother of Lex and Tess Luthor
- Lutessa Lena "Tess" Luthor was a native of Earth-2. The daughter of Lionel Luthor, half-sister of Lex Luthor and adoptive sister of Clark Luthor.
In the Comics
The Luthor family first appeared in Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #23 (February, 1961). Lex Luthor's parents were Jules and Arlene Luthor. After Lex became a criminal, as a teenager, Jules threw him out of the house and changed their family name to "Thorul" (and anagram of "Luthor"). Jules and Arlene were killed in a car accident. As a result, their daughter, Lena, grew up in an orphanage, unaware that she was Lex Luthor's sister. Jules and Arlene also had another, unnamed child, who was the parent of Nasthalthia Luthor (first appearing in Adventure Comics #397; September, 1970). As an adult, Lena married FBI-agent Jeff Colby, who first appeared in Action Comics #317 (October, 1964). Together, Lena and Jeff had a son, Val Colby, who first appeared in Adventure Comics #387 (December, 1969). Lex married an alien woman, named Ardora (first appearing in Superman #167; February, 1964). Together, they had a son named Lex Luthor, Jr., who first appeared in Action Comics #544 (June, 1983).
Following Crisis on Infinite Earths, Lex Luthor once had an affair with Alice White (the wife of Perry White). This affair resulted in a son, Jerry White. Lex also had several ex-wives. With Contessa Erica Alexandra del Portenza, Lex fathered a daughter, named Lena Luthor (first appearing in Superman Vol 2 #131; January, 1998). Lex's parents first appeared in Lex Luthor: The Unauthorized Biography #1 (July, 1989), with the story having them (unnamed) died when he was young. After the introduction of John Glover's character on Smallville, Lex's father was given the name "Lionel Luthor".
Following Infinite Crisis, DC Comics re-introduced Lex's sister, Lena Luthor (first appearing in Superman: Secret Origin #1; November, 2009). Who had a daughter named Lori Luthor (first appearing in Adventure Comics Vol 2 #1 October, 2009).
- In several Luthors have become vessels for aliens. Lionel was a vessel for Jor-El, Lex was a vessel for General Zod, and Lionel of Earth-2 was a vessel for Darkseid.
- The Luthor family is known for being practitioners and victims of parricidium or parricide, the killing of one's close relatives:
- (1) Lionel had his parents Lachlan and Eliza killed in a tenement fire (parenticide);
- (2) Lillian smothered her (and Lionel's) infant son Julian with a pillow (infanticide);
- (3) Lex killed both adult clones of Julian- Adrian Cross [directly- firearm] and Grant Gabriel [indirectly- hired assassin] (fratricide);
- (4) Lex murdered his own father Lionel (patricide);
- (5) Lana faked her death (pseudocide) but Lex was charged for the crime of killing her (uxoricide);
- (6) Tess was directly responsible for Lex losing life support (fratricide); although Oliver Queen [not a relative] actually executed justice on Lex (homicide, hosticide);
- (7) Also, Clark Luthor killed his adoptive brother Lex Luthor in Earth-2 (fratricide);
- (8) Lex Luthor's clone (LX-13) killed many Lex Luthor clones (fratricide);
- (9) Tess mortally wounded by firearm the Lionel Luthor of Earth-2; who gave his soul to Darkseid in order to resurrect Lex (intended patricide);
- (10) Lex later that same evening seemingly murdered Tess by stabbing her in the abdomen with a dagger (sororicide);
- (11) Lucas threatened to shoot Lex (threatened fratricide) and then pointed a gun at Lionel (threatened patricide) forcing him to shoot Lex (attempted forced filicide,) Lionel however turned and shot at Lucas but the gun was only loaded with blanks (attempted filicide.)
- Most Luthors (Lionel, Lillian, Lachlan, Lucas, Lutessa) have the same initials, L.L. However, Julian, Eliza and Julian's clone Grant Gabriel did not; Julian had J.L., Eliza had E.L. and Grant had G.G. Lex's full first name is actually Alexander, making him A.L., but after his childhood and the death of his mother few people refer to him as Alexander and almost strictly as Lex, L.L.
- In every season of Smallville, there has always been at least one Luthor as main character as either an anti-hero, a supporting antagonist or even a main antagonist:
- Lex was an anti-hero in seasons 1 to 4, a supporting antagonist in seasons 5, 8 and 10 and the main antagonist in seasons 6 and 7.
- Lionel was a supporting antagonist in seasons 1 and 4, the main antagonist in Seasons 2 and 3 and anti-hero in seasons 5 to 7.
- Tess (who was discovered as a Luthor in season 10) was a supporting antagonist in seasons 8 and 9 and an anti-hero in Season 10.
A gallery of Luthors past and present:
|Luthors in Smallville|