The Luthor family is a Scottish-American family that came from humble origins in the Suicide Slums of Metropolis, but is now known as an extremely wealthy and powerful player in the American upper-class due to the prowess of their LuthorCorp business empire.
- Lachlan Luthor was the father of Lionel Luthor, husband of Eliza Luthor, and grandfather of Lex Luthor, Julian Luthor, Lucas Luthor and Tess Mercer.
- Eliza Luthor (née Meehan) was the mother of Lionel Luthor, wife of Lachlan Luthor, and grandmother of Lex Luthor, Julian Luthor, Lucas Luthor and Tess Mercer.
- Lionel Luthor was the son of Lachlan and Eliza Luthor, widower of Lillian Luthor, and father of Lex Luthor, Julian Luthor, Lucas Luthor and Tess Mercer. He was the founder of the LuthorCorp and a founding member of Veritas.
- Lillian Luthor was the late wife of Lionel Luthor, and the mother of Lex and Julian Luthor.
- Alexander "Lex" Luthor is the son and sole heir of Lionel and Lillian Luthor, the brother of the late Julian Luthor, and half-brother of Lucas Luthor and Tess Mercer. He is the current head of LuthorCorp (later LexCorp), Superman's fated archenemy, and is elected the President of the United States in 2018.
- Julian Luthor was the deceased second son of Lionel and Lillian Luthor, the brother of Lex Luthor, and half-brother of Lucas Luthor and Tess Mercer.
- Tess Mercer, born Lutessa Lena Luthor, is the illegitimate daughter of Lionel Luthor with Pamela Jenkins, and the half-sister of Lex Luthor, Julian Luthor and Lucas Luthor. She was Lex's protégé and designated acting CEO of LuthorCorp after Lex's disappearance, but secretly also a former Checkmate agent, and is currently a member of the Justice League under the alias Red Tornado.
- Lucas Luthor is the illegitimate son of Lionel Luthor with Rachel Dunleavy, and the delinquent half-brother of Lex Luthor, Tess Mercer and the late Julian Luthor.
- Pamela Jenkins was Lex's nanny and substitute mother, one of Lionel's former mistresses, and the biological mother of Tess Mercer.
- Rachel Dunleavy was one of Lionel's former mistresses, and the mother of Lucas Luthor.
- Desirée Atkins (born Allison Sanders) was the first wife of Lex Luthor. Their marriage was a sham and later annulled after Desirée's arrest.
- Helen Luthor (née Bryce) was the second wife of Lex Luthor. It is unknown if she is alive or dead as she disappeared from an airplane after Lex confronted her for a prior betrayal. She was still legally married to Lex when she was last seen.
- Stanley Bryce is the father of Helen Luthor (née Bryce) and Lex's ex-father-in-law.
- Lana Luthor (née Lang) was the third wife of Lex Luthor. Their marriage ended in divorce after Lana staged her own murder.
- Grant Gabriel was a clone of Lex's late brother Julian via Lex's Project Gemini. He was murdered in a staged robbery on Lex's order.
- Adrian Cross was another but less successful clone of Julian Luthor via Project Gemini. He was shot and killed by Lex.
- LX-13 was one of the many clones of Lex Luthor. He murdered most of the other Lex clones and later died after succumbing to metabolic decay caused by his genetic flaws.
- The Mercers were the abusive adoptive parents of Tess Mercer from Louisiana.
- Conner Kent is a Kryptonian hybrid clone of Lex Luthor, created by mixing his DNA with that of Clark Kent. He was raised like a son by Tess Mercer, and later cared under the guardianship of Martha Kent.
In Lex's Vision
- Alexander "Alex" Luthor, Jr. was the son of Lex Luthor and Lana Lang, and the brother of Lily Luthor, in an alternate future.
- Lillian "Lily" Luthor was the newborn daughter of Lex Luthor and Lana Lang, and the sister of Alex Luthor, in an alternate future.
In Clark's vision
- Linda Danvers (born Kara Zor-El) was the adopted daughter of Lionel Luthor and the adopted sister of Lex Luthor in an alternate universe.
- Lionel Luthor is the biological father of Earth-2's Lex and Tess Luthor, the adoptive father of Clark Luthor. and the CEO of LuthorCorp. After crossing over to Earth-1, he became a vessel of Darkseid.
- Lex Luthor was the biological son of Earth-2's Lionel Luthor, the half-brother of Tess Luthor and the adoptive brother of Clark Luthor, who murdered him.
- Clark Luthor (born Kal-El) is a Kryptonian on Earth-2, the adoptive son of Lionel Luthor, and adopted brother of Lex and Tess Luthor
- Lutessa Lena "Tess" Luthor is the estranged biological daughter of Lionel Luthor, the half-sister of the late Lex Luthor, and the adoptive sister (and mistress) of Clark Luthor.
In the Comics
The Luthor family first appeared in Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #23 (February, 1961). Lex Luthor's parents were Jules and Arlene Luthor. After Lex became a criminal, as a teenager, Jules threw him out of the house and changed their family name to "Thorul" (and anagram of "Luthor"). Jules and Arlene were killed in a car accident. As a result, their daughter, Lena, grew up in an orphanage, unaware that she was Lex Luthor's sister. Jules and Arlene also had another, unnamed child, who was the parent of Nasthalthia Luthor (first appearing in Adventure Comics #397; September, 1970). As an adult, Lena married FBI-agent Jeff Colby, who first appeared in Action Comics #317 (October, 1964). Together, Lena and Jeff had a son, Val Colby, who first appeared in Adventure Comics #387 (December, 1969). Lex married an alien woman, named Ardora (first appearing in Superman #167; February, 1964). Together, they had a son named Lex Luthor, Jr., who first appeared in Action Comics #544 (June, 1983).
Following Crisis on Infinite Earths, Lex Luthor once had an affair with Alice White (the wife of Perry White). This affair resulted in a son, Jerry White. Lex also had several ex-wives. With Contessa Erica Alexandra del Portenza, Lex fathered a daughter, named Lena Luthor (first appearing in Superman Vol 2 #131; January, 1998). Lex's parents first appeared in Lex Luthor: The Unauthorized Biography #1 (July, 1989), with the story having them (unnamed) died when he was young. After the introduction of John Glover's character on Smallville, Lex's father was given the name "Lionel Luthor".
Following Infinite Crisis, DC Comics re-introduced Lex's sister, Lena Luthor (first appearing in Superman: Secret Origin #1; November, 2009). Who had a daughter named Lori Luthor (first appearing in Adventure Comics Vol 2 #1 October, 2009).
- In several Luthors have become vessels for aliens. Lionel was a vessel for Jor-El, Lex was a vessel for General Zod, and Lionel of Earth-2 was a vessel for Darkseid.
- The Luthor family is known for being perpetrators and victims of kin-slaying or parricide, the killing of one's close relatives, leading to the fable of the Luthor name being "poisoned":
- (1) Lionel had his parents Lachlan and Eliza murdered in a tenement fire (parenticide);
- (2) Lillian smothered her (and Lionel's) infant son Julian with a pillow (infanticide);
- (3) Lex killed both adult clones of Julian, Adrian Cross [directly - firearm] and Grant Gabriel [indirectly - hired assassin] (fratricide);
- (4) Lex murdered his own father Lionel (patricide);
- (5) Lana faked her death (pseudocide) but Lex was charged for the crime of murderng her (uxoricide);
- (6) Tess was directly responsible for Lex losing life support (fratricide); although Oliver Queen [not a relative] actually executed justice on Lex (homicide, hosticide);
- (7) Also, Clark Luthor killed his adoptive brother Lex in Earth-2 (fratricide);
- (8) Lex Luthor's clone LX-13 killed many other Lex clones (fratricide);
- (9) Tess mortally wounded with firearm the Lionel of Earth-2; who gave his soul to Darkseid in order to resurrect Lex (intended patricide);
- (10) Lex later that same evening seemingly murdered Tess by stabbing her in the abdomen with a dagger (sororicide);
- (11) Lucas threatened to shoot Lex (threatened fratricide) and then pointed a gun at Lionel (threatened patricide) forcing him to shoot Lex (attempted forced filicide). Lionel however turned and shot at Lucas but the gun was only loaded with blanks (attempted filicide.)
- Most Luthors (Lionel, Lillian, Lachlan, Lucas, Lutessa) have the same initials "L.L.". However, Julian, Eliza and Julian's clone Grant Gabriel did not; Julian had J.L., Eliza had E.L. and Grant had G.G. Lex's full first name is actually Alexander, making him A.L., but after his childhood and the death of his mother, few people ever refer to him as Alexander, and he is almost strictly addressed as Lex, hence also L.L.
- In every season of Smallville, there has always been at least one Luthor as a main character, either as an anti-hero, a supporting antagonist or the main antagonist:
- Lex was an anti-hero in seasons 1 to 4, a supporting antagonist in seasons 5, 8 and 10, and the main antagonist in seasons 6 and 7.
- Lionel was a supporting antagonist in seasons 1 and 4, the main antagonist in Seasons 2 and 3, and an anti-hero in seasons 5 to 7.
- Tess (who was revealed as a Luthor in season 10) was a supporting antagonist in seasons 8 and 9, and an anti-hero in Season 10.
A gallery of Luthors past and present:
|Luthors in Smallville|