The Kryptonian dagger is a type of dagger associated with the Fortress of Solitude.
- The first blade was given by Jor-El to Clark Kent to destroy Lex Luthor, the Kryptonian vessel of General Zod. (Vessel)
- A second dagger was found by the clone of Lara-El in the Fortress of Solitude. It was unsuccessfully used by Kara in an attempt to kill Zor-El's clone. (Blue)
The Kryptonian dagger is a crystal handle fortress dagger. The pommel and blade bearing Kryptonian glyphs on its side. These glyphs translate literally as "RTDSME"; the meaning of the symbols is unknown.
Powers and Abilities
The Kryptonian dagger can injury and even kill Kryptonians.
The dagger also bypasses many of the security mechanisms that limit access to the Fortress' console. When Brainiac was stabbed with a Kryptonian dagger, he was somehow able to access the Fortress to open a portal to the Phantom Zone. Normally that would require access to the crystals and console of the Fortress; somehow, because the dagger was part of the Fortress, Brainiac was able to circumvent the access limitations of the console and access the power of the Fortress directly through the dagger. (Vessel)
The Kryptonian dagger has highly low success on Kryptonians. Clark stabbed Brainiac with it, but that was because he wanted it to happen all along, Lana failed to use it on Zod, he snapped it in half like it was nothing, and Kara failled to use it on Zor-El even though she had super speed.
Though he had gained the upper hand on Lex, Clark could not bring himself to kill him and instead hurled the Kryptonian dagger at Milton Fine; Fine was impaled in the chest with it and used the dagger to gain access to the Fortress to release General Zod into Lex's body.
Later, Lana tried to use the Kryptonian dagger to kill Zod, but he saw beyond her trap and broke the blade in half.
Another Kryptonian dagger is seen again in Blue, when Lara-El's clone takes it from the Fortress of Solitude to kill Zor-El's clone. She tells Kara that, back on Krypton, Jor-El kept a weapon in case of a last resort. When Kara tries to use it to kill Zor-El, he stops it in almost the same way as Zod in Vessel. The dagger is presumably still in the Fortress.
- Lionel: You know, Clark, in certain cultures, when a father presents his son with a knife, it represents a rite of passage.
- Clark: How do you know this is from Jor-El?
- Lionel: The glyphs on the blade, they're Kryptonian. What does Jor-El want you to do with the dagger? Clark, I came here to find you. When I woke up this morning, I found this. Must have written it in my sleep. It's another warning from Jor-El? Tell me what it says.
- Clark: "Sacrifice the vessel."
- Season Five, Vessel
|Kryptonian artifacts in Smallville|