- Hiram Kent was the husband of Jessica Kent and the father of Jonathan Kent. He was also the father-in-law of Martha Kent and the adoptive grandfather of Clark Kent (whom he has never met).
- Jessica Kent was the wife of Hiram Kent and the mother of Jonathan Kent. She was also the mother-in-law of Martha Kent and the adoptive grandmother of Clark Kent (whom she has never met).
- Jonathan Kent was the son of Hiram and Jessica Kent, husband of Martha Kent, and the adoptive father of Clark Kent. He died of an heart attack years before he can become the father-in-law of Lois Lane.
- Martha Kent is the widow of Jonathan Kent, and the adoptive mother of Clark Kent. She was also later the mother-in-law of Lois Lane.
- Clark Kent (born Kal-El) is the Kryptonian adopted son of Jonathan and Martha Kent, and the husband of Lois Lane. He is also the adopted grandson of Hiram and Jessica Kent, and William Clark.
- Lois Lane later becomes the wife of Clark Kent, the daughter-in-law of Martha and (posthumously) Jonathan Kent, and by extension the granddaughter-in-law of Hiram and Jessica Kent.
- Conner Kent is a Kryptonian hybrid clone of Clark Kent, created with his DNA mixed with Lex Luthor's. Legally, he is considered a cousin of Clark Kent, and is currently under the guardianship of Martha Kent.
- William Clark is the father of Martha Kent, the estranged father-in-law of Jonathan Kent, and adoptive maternal grandfather of Clark Kent.
- Kara Kent (born Kara Zor-El) is the Kryptonian biological first cousin of Clark Kent. After arriving in Smallville, Clark's close friend Chloe Sullivan helped set up Kara's identity as a distant cousin of the Kent family from Minnesota.
- The House of El was Clark and Kara Kent's Kryptonian biological family, who were all killed during the destruction of Krypton.
- Jor-El was the biological father of Clark Kent, whose consciousness was preserved in the form of an artificial intelligence, and later revived as a clone.
- Lara-El was the biological mother of Clark Kent, who was later temporarily revived as a clone.
- Zor-El was the estranged brother of Jor-El, the father of Kara Kent, and uncle of Clark Kent, who was later temporarily revived as a clone.
- Zor-El's wife was the biological mother of Kara Kent.
- Jor-El and Zor-El's father was the paternal grandfather of Clark and Kara Kent.
- The Lane family is the birth family of Lois Lane.
- Chloe Sullivan was married to Clark in an alternate reality of Lex Luthor's post-gunshot coma.
- Clark Kent was the human son of Jonathan and Martha Kent in an alternate universe in which baby Kal-El never arrived on Earth.
- Jonathan Kent (Earth-2) was a native of Earth-2 and the ex-husband of Martha Kent.
- Martha Kent (Earth-2) was a native of Earth-2 and the ex-wife of Jonathan Kent.
- An unnamed man was a native of Earth-2 and the father of Jonathan Kent.
- Clark Kent (Earth-13) was a native of Earth-13.
- Clark Kent (Earth-167) is a native of Earth-167. He is married to the Lois Lane of that Earth and is the father of her daughters.
- Lois Lane (Earth-167) is a native of Earth-167. she is married to the Clark Kent of that Earth and is the mother of his daughters.
- Unnamed Kent girls (Earth-167) are the daughters of Clark Kent and Lois Lane on Earth-167.
Hiram Kent (1924-1980) was the father of Jonathan Kent and Clark's adoptive grandfather. He was a farmer, like all the Kent men. He and his wife Jessica unknowingly met young Jor-El under the alias of Joe and saved him from going to jail for being framed for murder. Jor-El sent his son Kal-El to his son Jonathan decades later. Hiram and Jonathan were very close and Jonathan often reflected on their relationship when dealing with his own son.
Jonathan Kent and Martha Kent owned the Kent Farm. They found Kal-El and his tiny spaceship following the meteor shower on October 16, 1989. He was wandering around alone and naked, as well as appeared to be about age two or three. Jonathan and Martha brought the boy home. Deciding that he had indeed fallen from the sky, they adopted him and raised him as their son. Lionel Luthor owed Jonathan a favor and provided them with "official" adoption papers. They told no one about his arrival on Earth, not even Martha's parents. The Kents named the boy Clark, Martha's maiden name. However, Clark soon proved to be no ordinary toddler. Bit by bit, he began to exhibit super-human abilities, beginning with super strength.
Over the years, Jonathan and Martha's loving, supportive parenting instilled in Clark a strong sense of morality and the importance of helping those in need. The Kents raised Clark with a modest lifestyle and taught him to treat his abilities as gifts and use them to help others, but to keep them a secret from everyone, including his best friends. Despite the fact that he was different from everyone, Clark was raised as normal as possible: he attended school and had friends just like any normal kid. Clark was aware that he was adopted, but the Kents waited until he was fourteen to tell him that he was not from Earth.
Martha got pregnant during Clark's second year in high school even though the doctors had always said she and Jonathan couldn't have children. However later in the spring Martha lost the baby due to a truck accident and Clark remained an only child.
In 2006, the night Jonathan was elected Kansas State Senator, he died of a heart attack. Martha later took his position as senator. Clark assumed primary responsibility of the farm. In 2007, Martha moved to Washington D.C. to serve in the United States Senate shortly before Clark discovered his Kryptonian cousin Kara. His friend Chloe Sullivan created a false history for Kara to explain her sudden appearance, christening her "Kara Kent". Clark and Kara lived on the farm together for much of that year, before Kara was kidnapped by Brainiac and placed in the Phantom Zone. In 2008, Clark and Lois were accidentally transported to the phantom zone by the crystal where they were reunited with Kara and returned back to Earth together.
In 2011, Clark is introduced to a clone that shares both his and Lex's DNA known as Conner Kent, Clark assumes the responsibility of offering guidance to Conner by helping him fit in to society while also gaining control over all of his kryptonian abilities . Clark gives Conner the same moral guidance Jonathan and Martha gave to him and adopted him into the Kent family as his cousin.
- Clark once married Alicia Baker, while he was under the influence of Red kryptonite. However, according to Clark, the marriage was not legal.
- In the comics, Nathaniel "Nate" Kent was formerly a resident of Boston that moved with his family in Kansas, Smallville back in the mid 1850's and took up the job of a Sheriff. He was doing his best to keep the peace alive in Smallville until Eben Took and his family started getting involved in witchcraft. Nate's wife was Mary, daughter of John Glenowen. Nate first appeared in The Kents series (1997).
In the Comics
The family's origins date back as far as 6th century England, when Sir Brian Kent participated in several adventures under the pseudonym the Silent Knight. It has been suggested that Sir Brian may have been the progenitor of the Kent family line. Brian married Celia Penbrook.
The direct family line of Jonathan Kent is traced as far back as the late 18th to early 19th century. The American Kents originally hailed from Boston, Massachusetts where print-shop owner Silas Kent lived with his wife Abigail. The two sired eight children, all of whom were born in the Kent's Boston home. In 1854, Silas Kent joined the Emigrant Aid Society and decided to relocate his printing press to Lawrence, Kansas to promote his abolitionist ideals. He brought his two oldest sons, Nate and Jeb along with him and they arrived in Lawrence in the summer of of 1854.
Pre-Flashpoint, Jonathan's father was Sam Kent and he also had a brother, Harry. Jonathan married Martha Clark and they adopted a son, Clark Kent and later Clark's partial clone, Conner Kent. Clark married Lois Lane and they adopted together Christopher Kent.
Gallery of family members
|Clark Kent in Smallville|