Jodi Melville was a somewhat overweight teenager and a metahuman with the ability to absorb fat.
Jodi was a young woman who was obsessed with becoming thin, submitting occasional articles to the Smallville Torch and possessing a slight crush on Pete Ross due to him being one of the few people at school to be nice to her.
Powers and Abilities
- Fat absorption: After eating nutrient shakes laced with green kryptonite, Jodi gained the ability to suck fat from animals.
- Elasticity: After her transformation, Jodie can widen her mouth like a snake to an extreme level, allowing her to ingest anything she desires.
- Hyper-accelerated metabolism: After her change, Jodi digests foods and loses fat extremely fast. This also renders her constantly ravenous.
After being teased for her weight, Jodie's plans a diet with vegetable shakes for which she unknowingly used meteor rock-infected vegetables. The results were dramatic; she lost 60 pounds in two days, but she was so hungry she had to suck the fat out of other people like a vampire sucks blood, her body losing fat too fast for regular food to keep up.
She devoured a deer after she hit it with her car and subsequently put Dustin Crenshaw, who had teased her when she was fat, into a coma by sucking out all his fat; she would have killed him if Clark Kent hadn't arrived and forced her to flee.
She was nearly driven to eat Pete when she suffered another hunger attack while preparing to attend a dance, but Clark interrupted her before she could finish. She battled Clark in the meteor rock-laced greenhouse, the meteors rendering him weak enough for her to knock him down with a shovel. Just as she was about to kill Clark, the sight of her reflection drove her to try and kill herself by triggering a gas explosion in the greenhouse by destroying the ultraviolet lights after breaking open the gas pipes. Despite his weakness, Clark managed to save her, himself, and Pete, subsequently taking her to Metropolis General Hospital.
Season Eleven (Earth-2)
See: Jodi Melville
- Jodi's powers reflect her desire to become thin.
- Jodi Melville was portrayed by Amy Adams, who also played the role of Lois Lane in Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League.
- Jodi was the first meteor freak who was actively reluctant to kill others despite possessing a hostile power; Sean Kelvin, who (like Jodi) drew what he lacked from others to survive -- in his case, body heat -- actually seemed eager to absorb the heat from others despite his knowledge that it would kill them, regardless of their identities, but Jodi's only intended victim was Dustin, who she had already had a grudge against for his past treatment of her. She only attacked the deer and Pete because she was too hungry to resist when they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- A fellow student named Heather Fox was inspired to make her own mix of nutrient shakes grown within the same greenhouse owned by the Melville family that Jodi took her vegetables from (as the greenhouse had apparently been reopened after the explosion caused by Jodi) to sell a fresh batch of meteor-rock-contaminated vegetables. As a result, Heather was able to build up from her initial exposure to the meteorite shower (which had initially cured her of her allergies) and control her long-developing shapeshifting abilities, which allowed her to shapeshift into any live or dead animal she touched (as shown in the novel Animal Rage).