After Lana confesses to Chloe she has doubts about marrying Lex due to her lingering feelings for Clark, the Daily Planet gossip columnist, Linda Lake runs a story detailing their exact conversation. Determined to prove she didn't give the story to Lake, Chloe investigates her fellow co-worker and discovers Lake has the ability to turn herself into water and uses it to secretly overhear conversations for her column. Meanwhile, Lois begins to suspect Oliver is Green Arrow and enlists Clark's help to prove it.
→ see also Category:Screencaps from episode 6x10
Linda Lake, the weekly gossip columnist, barges into the basement offices of the Daily Planet and demands that Chloe Sullivan make copies of her article. Chloe objects because she is not her personal assistant and questions Linda's reporting policies, pointing out her newest article: Lake has exposed that Metropolis Meteors baseball player Mike Dawson is using performance-enhancing drugs and has ruined his career. Linda is unapologetic, claiming she only prints the truth.
Leaving work, Linda is approached by Mike Dawson. He is angry and says he won't let Linda destroy any more lives. He chases Linda into a plaza with a fountain but she disappears. When he approaches the fountain, he is suddenly pulled into it by the water and held under until he drowns.
Lana Lang tells Chloe that Lex proposed to her. She says their relationship is doing well, but something wouldn't let her say yes right away. Chloe guesses that Lana still has feelings for Clark. Lana admits that if Clark had asked her, she would have said yes immediately [although when Clark proposed in Reckoning she did have reservations, it was Clark that asked her to take time to think about it since he also unloaded on her the weight of his secret]. Chloe tells her that she won't be able to move on from Clark unless she talks to him. As they leave, the water in the cooler bubbles.Jimmy Olsen meets a contact in an alley but is surprised to find it is Lois Lane. She wants to buy exclusive pictures of Green Arrow. However, she is disappointed to see that they are only shots of his limbs and no clear ones of his face, but she notes that one of the photographs details a large laceration on the Green Arrow's arm.
When Chloe picks up her coffee and morning paper, she is shocked to see Linda Lake's newest article. The article details her and Lana's conversation, exposing the fact that Lana has feelings for Clark. Clark arrives at the Talon and Chloe, not wanting him to find out from the paper, tells him that Lex proposed. Clark doesn't dare believe the article is true, but Chloe confirms that Lana told her she was still in love with him. Clark exits hastily to the Luthor Mansion to talk to Lana.
Lana awakens to breakfast in bed, courtesy of Lex, who has also seen the article. Lex is calm about the matter and says he is glad he now knows why Lana is hesitating. Lana receives a phone call from Chloe that she doesn't answer just as Clark arrives at the mansion. He asks Lex if he can talk to Lana but Lex tells him she isn't there. Clark turns to go, but Lex tells him that he can't convince Lana to do anything and they argue. Clark says that Lana's hesitation must be eating at Lex. Lex tells Clark that Lana won't turn his proposal down because she's pregnant with his child. Clark is obviously shocked by this news and doesn't respond.
Jimmy shows Chloe the article about Dawson's death and tells her that he thinks someone murdered him. He is unconvinced that a baseball player would kill himself in two feet of water. Chloe looks interested to investigate.
Lex approaches Linda Lake in her unfinished new office. He leaves her a blank check and tells her to collect anything she can on Clark and Lana.
Oliver Queen is instructing Lois in certain excersizing styles in his loft apartment when Lois flips him over, pins him, and they start making out. She takes his shirt off and notices a large healing scratch on his bicep. He tells her it's a fencing accident, but Lois abruptly collects her things and leaves. In the elevator, she compares the photos of Green Arrow's injury. Lois meets Clark in his loft and starts talking about how someone close to her has a serious hero complex and has been lying to her for a while. Clark looks panicked until Lois tells him her theory: that Green Arrow is her boyfriend, Oliver. She says she needs proof before confronting him, though, and wants Clark to help her out. Clark goes to Lois' apartment to get the photos and is caught by Chloe. He tells her that Jimmy took photos for Lois and Chloe is surprised to hear this. Clark accuses Chloe of keeping secrets as well, guessing that Chloe knew Lana was pregnant. Chloe counters that it's unfair for him to be mad at her because she keeps his secret every day and had to protect someone else. She almost starts to cry and Clark feels bad for upsetting her and apologizes with a hug. During their conversation, the bathtub overflows and Linda Lake forms from a puddle on the floor, having heard the entire exchange.
Chloe finds Lana waiting for her outside the Daily Planet building. Lana accuses Chloe of telling Linda their conversation and Chloe says she would never betray Lana like that and she should give her the benefit of the doubt. Lana backtracks and says Clark has left her with doubts about what her friends will do. Chloe takes this to mean that their conversation didn't go well when Clark went to see her, but Lana doesn't know anything about this and tells her that they never talked. They decide to find out how Linda Lake overheard their conversation.
Lois meets Clark in the barn and says that maybe she doesn't want to know if Oliver is the Green Arrow because she's fallen in love with him and doesn't care anymore. Clark calls her bluff, knowing she wouldn't ever be able to let it go, and hatches a plan so that she can find out without having to confront him. Later, Clark arrives at Queen Tower for a movie night. Lois has purposely forgotten the ice and leaves to get it. When she's gone, Oliver tells Clark that it's show time. Lois is walking in a dark alley and calls Oliver, pretending to be chased by thugs. Jimmy comes out pretending to be a thug, but he is soon joined by real thugs. "Green Arrow" swoops in and throws one of them across the alley. Lois approaches Green Arrow and kisses him passionately, saying that Oliver's secret is safe with her. However, Oliver walks up behind her just then. Lois slaps Green Arrow just as Jimmy gears up to take a picture of his face, but just as Jimmy shoots, Green Arrow speeds away, revealing that it's Clark. He reappears out of sight and takes off the hood to reveal from his facial expression that he actually found Lois' kiss to be somewhat amazing.
Chloe sneaks into Linda's office and is working with Lana over a webcam to find out what other secrets Lake knows about Lex and Lana. Chloe discovers Linda's newest headline, which details that Clark is an alien. She is shocked and Lana witnesses her reaction. They are interrupted by Linda who tells her that everyone will believe the article because Chloe can verify it. She is surprised that Chloe has kept a secret about her "farm boy friend" that could make her career skyrocket. Lana is listening to the whole exchange but just as Linda is about to reveal exactly what and who the article is about, Chloe grabs a hammer and smashes the laptop. Chloe tells her that she knows Linda killed Mike Dawson, probably from some special ability she obtained when her news van crashed into Crater Lake. Linda grabs a nail gun and tries to shoot Chloe but she runs out of the building. They fight in the street and Linda runs after her. She is struck by Lana's car and bursts into a puddle of water.
Jimmy shows Chloe photographs of their encounter with Green Arrow. He is excited to show her the photo of his face but is disappointed to see that he has disappeared from the picture. Chloe invites Clark to the Talon apartment, where Lois is recounting the escapades from the previous night. Chloe implies to Clark that she is aware that he was disguised as Green Arrow, obviously highly amused by the situation. Lois finishes the story by dreamily saying Green Arrow is a much better kisser than Oliver. Clark looks embarrassed and flattered at what is being said.
Lana asks Chloe about what she and Linda were talking about and Chloe avoids the questions. Lana says she knows Chloe is helping Clark hide something, but Chloe tells her that Linda was grasping at straws. Chloe assures her that she would never do anything to hurt Lana. Lana sidesteps in, commenting she's starting to sound like Clark. Lana leaves and approaches Clark in his loft. She says she is sorry she didn't tell him Lex proposed and that Clark is still a part of her life that she can't completely cut out. She asks Clark what he wanted to talk to her about, also telling him she knows Chloe is helping him cover up something and she wants him to finally trust her but Clark says that everything is different now. He tells her that Lex told him about the baby. Lana says she doesn't want to regret any more and turns to go. Clark tells her he hopes Lex makes her happy.
Lex tentatively approaches Lana again at the mansion and admits that he is afraid of her answer. She tells him about her and Clark's conversation and says that she will probably always love both of them, but she is done regretting. Lex tells her that he will wait forever for the one person he thinks could learn to love him. Lana accepts his proposal and they hug.
- Tom Welling as Clark Kent
- Kristin Kreuk as Lana Lang
- Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor
- Erica Durance as Lois Lane
- Allison Mack as Chloe Sullivan
- John Glover as Lionel Luthor (credit only)
- Annette O'Toole as Martha Kent (credit only)
Special Guest Star
- Shawn Reis as Mike Dawson
- Maria Marlow as Publishing Agent
- Christian Vincent as Luthor Security Guard
- "I'll Wait for You"- Jay Condiotti
- Hydro means of or pertaining water power.
- The title refers to Linda Lake's ability to turn into water.
- Antagonist: Linda Lake
- Lionel Luthor and Martha Kent do not appear in this episode.
- This episode marks the first time that Lana suspects that Clark is keeping a secret for sure.
- Linda tells Chloe she can see Gotham City from her office.
- This is the first time that Lois and Clark kiss and they both enjoy it, although Lois is not aware that she kissed Clark, hinting at a future relationship.
- Lana tells Chloe that when she was with Clark, she would have agreed to his proposal without hesitation. In the alternate timeline of Reckoning, even though Lana did not agree right away, it was just because Clark asked her not to. Confused more than doubtful by the huge secret Clark have unloaded on her, Lana indeed did not hesitate since she goes to the Kents house and accept his proposal on the same day, the first time they see each other again.
- Tori Spelling filmed this episode when she was five months pregnant with her first child. 
- This is the second episode Tom Welling has directed. His first was Fragile.
- Again, shots of the "Narrows" from Batman Begins are used in portraying Metropolis' streets as seen before in the episode Fallout.
- In DC Universe 1990 television series of The Flash there is a character named Linda Lake in the 10th episode, "Beat the Clock."
- This is the first on screen meeting between Lois and Jimmy, though they have seemingly met before off screen as they know each other.
- Oliver was last seen in Rage.
- This episode marks the 46th appearance of Clark's red jacket & blue shirt outfit, which he wears frequently throughout the series.
- In the Season Seven episode Siren, Lois will learn that her suspicion about Oliver Queen was correct, and become angry at him for the events of this episode.
- In the Season Eight episode Identity, Green Arrow will repay Clark the favor of pretending to be the "Good Samaritan/Red-Blue Blur".
- Linda Lake reappears in Infamous.
- In the episode, Jimmy is working with Lois, which is surprising to Chloe. In Season Eight, Jimmy, Lois, and Clark will work together constantly.
- Lois: I think I'm in love with Oliver. I don't know how you ever let Lana go if you felt this way because, I swear the guy could tell me he was from Mars right now and I would find some way to dismiss it as an endearing quirk.
- Chloe: Look, I'm sorry that I had to take a two-second breather from hiding the fact that you are an alien from another planet to protect someone else for a change! God! (she begins to cry; Clark gives her a hug) You had that coming, you know? (Clark nods)
- Clark: (smiling) For the record, I prefer "intergalactic traveler" over "alien from another planet".
- Clark: Lois, you're like a pit bull on a pant leg, you're never gonna let this go until you know for sure.
- Lois: I hate that you know me like that. But I can't just pull a "Lois" and ambush him. What if I'm wrong?
- Lois: You can't have cocktails without ice. (she looks at Clark.) Don't worry, yours will be virgin.
- Lois: (to Clark) Ollie's a good kisser, don't get me wrong... But that Green Arrow, he could teach Ollie a thing or two.
- Jimmy: "Scoopgirl?"
- Lois: "Hotshot485?" You've got to be kidding me?
- Jimmy: Look, I'm not the one up all night long touring the internet for Green Arrow pics! Don't you have a boyfriend?
- Lois: (annoyed) Do you have the photos?
- Jimmy: You got the cash?
- Lois: I don't get it, of all the photographers in Metropolis how is it that you end up with the first shots of our merry archer?
- Jimmy: I have my connections.
- Lois: No, really?
- Jimmy: Oh, umm, well, the guy doesn't get out of the Suicide Slums much so I just hung out there for a few weeks... in my car, with my pepper spray and the doors locked.
- Lois: (looking over the pictures) This is it? A bunch of arms and legs? Nice work, hot shot! I mean, you didn't even manage to catch one shot of his face. All these tell me about Green Arrow is that he needs a Band-aid!
- Jimmy: Well at least you got a good look at that.
- Lex: Lana, with the life I've led, I go to bed praying every night that I don't get what I deserve.
- Chloe: (sees the picture of Lois' kiss with Green Arrow) Oh, I feel dirty...
- Jimmy: Think about how Oliver feels. Lois and Clark put this whole scheme together because they thought Oliver was Green Arrow, but then-- pow!-- the poor sucker catches her sucking lip with leather daddy.
|Episodes: Season 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10|