Initially Eric displayed a shy and quiet persona as well as an admiration for classmate Holly. After absorbing Clark's powers he became far more confident and was evidently pleased by the plethora of praise he received for recovering Chloe's laptop.
Powers and Abilities
After the accident, all of fifteen year old Clark's powers were as good as his and could use them as he pleased. He become known as "Superboy".
- Solar battery : Eric was able to store solar energy from the yellow sun like a battery, which was the source of his powers due to leeching them from Clark.
- Super strength: Eric became unnaturally strong, not even the police could use force on him.
- Invulnerability: Eric became invulernable on earth to damage and weapons. He jumped off the bridge into the dam with no consequences.
- Super speed: Eric became as fast as a blur.
- Enhanced Vision: Eric no longer needed glasses, and his vision was magnified beyond human.
- Super Stamina: Eric lifted 600 pounds without breaking a sweat.
In addition to gaining all of Clark's powers, Eric also acquired Clark's weakness to Kryptonite as exposure to it induced similar nausea and pain to that felt by Kryptonians. His inexperience with Clark's powers also meant that he lacked Clark's practice, allowing the human Clark to take Eric by surprise in a manner that Clark would not have fallen for (As well as the more dangerous shortcoming of his lack of restraint in combat where Clark would have held back to avoid causing serious harm). Eric's rage also proved to be a major weakness in that he would act instinctively and without thought, allowing Clark to lure him into the presence of a Kryptonite fragment.
Eric was a quiet, shy student at Smallville High with a crush on a beautiful blond girl named Holly. He was taking a geology class taught by his overbearing, abusive (both physically and verbally) father Mr. Summers. During a field trip, Eric wandered away. Clark found him standing in the edge of a dam, the protector barrier was shocked by a lightning and Eric fell down. Clark grabbed him as he fell, but was struck by lightning at the same time. Eric was holding a bag with a meteor rock in it and Clark's Kryptonian powers were transferred to him.
Eric used his powers far more openly than Clark ever did. When he thwarted a purse-snatcher, Chloe gave him the nickname "Super Boy" in her first byline in the Smallville Ledger. However, Eric soon became violent and unpredictable.
His father wanted him to submit to tests, his mother was afraid of him and Holly rejected him. At school, Clark stepped in to stop him from attacking Holly's boyfriend, Brent. Eric threw him thirty feet and Clark had to go to the hospital to have his ribs bandaged. When the sheriff came to question him regarding the incident, he tore the street apart in a rage.
Clark realized that, unlike himself, Eric did not have a supportive family and thus could not handle the responsibility that came with his powers and thus sought to reclaim them. Clark guessed that if Eric had his abilities, he also had his weaknesses. He asked to borrow Lana Lang's meteor rock necklace in an attempt to subdue Eric. As Clark attacked Eric with the necklace, Eric attacked Clark with a live power line. The resulting bolt of electricity reversed the original process.
Almost two years later, Clark met Eric again while he was on his way to see Lex, after his friend was committed to Belle Reve. After Eric was taken to Belle Reve, he befriended two of Clark's old foes: Ian Randall, a boy who could replicate himself, as well as Van McNulty, a boy who tried to kill everyone who had been given a superpower by the meteor rocks.
The three of them worked together to defeat Clark when Clark broke into Belle Reeve in an attempt to rescue Lex Luthor. McNulty provided the meteor rock, Ian used it to subdue Clark and Eric leeched Clark's powers again. However, when Eric attacked Ian due to his arrogant belief that he no longer needed anyone else now that Clark's powers were his once again, killing Ian in the process, Clark recovered and subdued Eric, using the same meteor rock that had been used against him earlier to restore his powers.
- Eric Summers was mentioned in Season Seven's Wrath, when Clark experienced a similar power transferal with Lana Lang, although in this case Lana merely absorbed part of Clark's powers rather than completely taking Clark's abilities.
- Eric's present whereabouts are unknown: presumably he is still in the mental hospital.
- Both times Eric has appeared, the band 'Staind' have had a song of theirs played in each episode. They are 'Fade' in Leech and 'So Far Away' in Asylum
- Eric is played by Shawn Ashmore, who is the twin brother of Aaron Ashmore who played Jimmy Olsen in later seasons of the show.
- The Summers surname may be a nod to Shawn Ashmore's role as Iceman in the X-Men films. In the films, Scott Summers aka Cyclops, is the name of Iceman's team leader in the films.