- "When the human mind has faced tremendous emotional pain, it has no choice but to protect itself. You've taken bits and pieces of your surroundings and created an alternate universe where you feel safe and secure. Clark...in a world where you truly have no power, you chose to give yourself superpowers." – Dr. Hudson, to Clark Kent, Labyrinth
- Possession: Hudson can forcibly inhabit Kryptonians against their will.
- Flight: Hudson can fly at high speeds.
- Mind Control: Hudson can control the thoughts of those he is possessing.
- Invisibility: Hudson is invisible to Kryptonian X-Ray Vision and Night Vision.
- Red Crystal: Hudson can be exorcised with the crystal.
- Sixth Sense: Pets like Shelby can sense Hudson when he's invisible.
Hudson's wraith form has red eyes, sharp teeth and claws, and black cloak. He has a demonic growl.
Hudson was psychotic and malevolent. He scared Shelby and attacked Clark when his back was turned.
Most details regarding his life before encountering Clark Kent are unknown. At some point before Krypton's destruction however, Dr. Hudson performed destructive actions which sentenced him to the Phantom Zone.
In 2006, Dr. Hudson escaped the Phantom Zone along with Clark and a few other prisoners. Unlike the other Zoners, it is unknown where Dr. Hudson landed.
A year later, Dr. Hudson telepathically entered Clark's mind and created an illusion where Clark's powers were simply a figment of his overactive imagination. He was aware of every single memory within Clark's mind and therefore able to optimize the alternate reality which he had created.
Dr. Hudson suggested that Clark take his new treatment which would cure him of his delusions so that he could live a normal life. In actuality, the "cure" would allow Dr. Hudson to take complete control of Clark's mind and body with all of his Kryptonian powers. The Martian Manhunter telepathically entered Clark's mind and was able to convince him that Dr. Hudson was a Zoner. Once Clark began to fight back against Dr. Hudson's influence, Martian Manhunter used the red crystal to capture Dr. Hudson and extract the phantom from Clark.
- The fact that the Martian Manhunter was forced to interfere suggests that Clark's life was in real danger when Dr. Hudson entered his mind, since the Martian had been told by Clark's Kryptonian father Jor-El to watch Clark from a distance and not intervene unless it was absolutely necessary.
- The Martian Manhunter mentions this to Clark in Phantom.